Desperate Romantics

Offline anto*

• Her Revvership Bradiship
Desperate Romantics
« il: Mercoledì 05 Agosto 2009 22:03 22 »

La storia della Confraternita dei Preraffaelliti: Dante Gabriel Rossetti, William Holman Hunt e John Millais, tre giovani artisti e i loro tentativi di affermarsi nel mondo dell'arte. Trasmesso dalla BBC.

Cast
William 'Maniac' Holman Hunt    Rafe Spall
Dante Gabriel Rossetti    Aidan Turner
John Ruskin    Tom Hollander
John Millais    Samuel Barnett
Fred Walters    Sam Crane
Effie Ruskin    Zoe Tapper
Lizzie Siddal    Amy Manson
Annie Miller    Jennie Jacques
Mr Stone    Phil Davies
Mr Siddal    Ian Puleston-Davies
Mrs Siddal    Polly Kemp
Charlotte Siddal    Josie Farmiloe
Mr Chadwick    Mark Benton
Charles Dickens    Mark Heap
Margaret    Maimie McCoy
Director    Paul Gay
Producer    Ben Evans
Executive Producer    Hilary Salmon
Executive Producer    Franny Moyle
Writer    Peter Bowker
« Ultima modifica: Domenica 28 Dicembre 2014 22:19 22 da MalkaviaN »
Toute l'amertume de l'existence lui semblait servie sur son assiette.

Re: Desperate Romantics
« Risposta #1 il: Mercoledì 05 Agosto 2009 23:55 23 »
Ma è bellissimo! Spero in un resynch 720p perchè ne vale davvero la pena! :55

Offline Killa

• Get Carried Away...
« Risposta #2 il: Giovedì 06 Agosto 2009 00:10 00 »
Posto un articolo del Sunday Times del 5 luglio

Desperate Romantics begins with the following disclaimer: “In the mid-19th century, a group of young men challenged the art establishment of the day. The pre-Raphaelite brotherhood were inspired by the real world about them, yet took imaginative licence in their art. This story, based on their lives and loves, follows in that inventive spirit.” Then the screen explodes with scams, seductions, drugs, scandal and plenty of cocky artistic attitude.

This is art history as a biopic of rock-star excess — Paint the Line, if you will. BBC2’s new drama has the pre-Raphaelites as the Rolling Stones or Sex Pistols of their day, outraging the Royal Academy, preaching their artistic gospel with the arrogance of the young and talented, and generally seducing strait-laced Victorian women of every class and background. They’re young, dumb and full of laudanum, in other words. It’s the kind of glorious retelling of artistic history that Ken Russell used to do so well — playful, flamboyant and fun — and it’s strange how rarely we find anything like it on our screens.

“I’ve always hated films about artists, because they always end up with Monet staring off into the distance and talking about the light,” says the writer Peter Bowker, whose diverse screen credits this year include the brutal Iraq drama Occupation and the costume finery of this autumn’s Wuthering Heights. “So I swore never to do one. But when this came up — well, for me, when I was growing up in the 1970s,

I thought the pre­Raphaelites were the greatest artists that ever lived. What they tried to do was very testosterone-fuelled. Look at the women they painted! Ophelia, the Lady of Shalott — all pale, long auburn hair, floaty dresses, the perfect sex symbols. The way those boys crashed through Victorian society: they invented a huge part of modern culture.”

Il resto in spoiler  :96

Spoiler
Inspired by Franny Moyle’s book Desperate Romantics: The Private Lives of the Pre-Raphaelites, published earlier this year, which charts the artists’ chaotic affairs, Bowker picks out those themes from the brotherhood’s lives that resonate today. He focuses, for instance, on their desire for fame and attention, on their stunts — such as hiring a studio, persuading John Ruskin to attend their exhibition by a ruse, then posting their own review of his attendance — and on their initial rock’n’roll-style group identity, adding a PRB logo to their paintings, sometimes in place of a signature.

All of these details are true, but the story was, inevitably, a little more complicated. For one thing, there were essentially seven members of the group, although the series shows us only three — William Holman Hunt, John Everett Millais and Dante Gabriel Rossetti. The show isn’t a lecture, however, it’s a bawdy, lustful retelling.

Thus, Desperate Romantics is interested in Hunt’s religious guilt. We see him struggle with self-loathing when seduced by a model who is also a hooker. When they finish, he catches sight of Christ’s face in a picture. “He looks disappointed,” Hunt says, grimacing. “Well, you painted him,” the girl points out reasonably.

We also see Millais’s struggle with principle, ambition and innocence. He rejects the chance to achieve solo success — despite being the prodigy of the age — to ensure that the brotherhood succeeds, but later accepts the frus­trated advances of John Ruskin’s wife, Effie, while pandering to his patron’s whims. We see their subtle rivalry — it’s Rossetti who has the idea for a fallen-woman portrait, but Hunt who exploits Ruskin’s interest with his study The Awakening Conscience, using his hooker model to play the disgraced innocent and shaming her publicly as a result. In the end, however, it’s the flamboyant Rossetti who holds centre stage.

“The thing that really interested me was that, although Millais is often regarded as the most gifted, it was Rossetti who was very much the leader of the group,” Bowker explains. “Everybody who met him said, ‘Charisma, charisma, charisma.’ He was very funny, and in his letters he’s always begging for money, or ‘tin’.

“I loved his politeness combined with a ‘give me everything you’ve got’ approach. I think we’ve all met or known people like this — women fall for them and men love their company. There was also a kind of Jim Morrison story to him: at the very end of his life, he wasn’t thin and beautiful, but corrupted and bloated.”

Bowker opens with the brotherhood’s search for a muse — they feel they teeter on the brink of greatness with a manifesto that damns all art since Raphael, but can’t quite produce the work to prove their genius. A fictional creation — their respectable admirer Fred Walters, who also narrates — introduces them to a shop girl, Lizzie Siddal, whose real-life look was at the heart of much of their fantasy medievalism. The story pivots on the moment when she steps onto the street and into their lives. Like a Marianne Faithfull or Patti Boyd, she’s buffeted on the updraft of their success, loving Rossetti, being used by the others and falling, gradually, into a fatal laudanum addiction. As she declines, the brotherhood dissolves, until Rossetti is left plundering her coffin for one last inspiration, one hit of fame.

This intense narrative, laced with guilt, infidelity, success and failure, is played to its considerable limits by a sharp young cast including Rafe Spall, Samuel Barnett, Zoe Tapper and Amy Manson as Siddal. Leading this crew, as the fiery Rossetti, is Aidan Turner, a hot newcomer who plays the vampire, Mitchell, in BBC3’s Being Human. The young Irish actor — 26, breaking through into fame, devastatingly good-looking and oozing charm — was surprisingly surprised to discover how easily he found the flamboyant artist’s character.

fonte : timesonline.co.uk

Buona visione  :9

Avere la coscienza pulita è segno di cattiva memoria

Offline meredithgrey

• The RC League ***Gunny***
  • Improvise, adapt, overcome.
« Risposta #3 il: Giovedì 06 Agosto 2009 00:24 00 »
A me è piaciuto! Brave ragazze!

M

Offline CN

« Risposta #4 il: Giovedì 06 Agosto 2009 09:17 09 »
Grazie mille  :59
CN

Offline supermauri

• C.C.G. fan club
« Risposta #5 il: Giovedì 06 Agosto 2009 18:29 18 »
Ma è bellissimo! Spero in un resynch 720p perchè ne vale davvero la pena! :55

E' in lavorazione.
It's not the hours you put in... but what you put in the hour.

Offline VScicchy

« Risposta #6 il: Venerdì 07 Agosto 2009 12:51 12 »
Bellissimo! Scorrevole, divertente, ritmo spettacolate! Anche le musiche mi sono piaciute molto!  :37

Grazie ragazzi!

« Risposta #7 il: Martedì 18 Agosto 2009 10:07 10 »
Ma quanto mi piace questa serie!!! Non l'avrei mai scoperta senza il vostro genio!

Offline VScicchy

« Risposta #8 il: Domenica 30 Agosto 2009 21:18 21 »
Che fine di M XD
Mi sono piaciuti tutti tranne l'utimo episodio... :(

Ma c'è qualche chance che facciano una seconda stagione?

Offline Moody

• Out Of This World
  • Madame Tampinaggio!
« Risposta #9 il: Domenica 30 Agosto 2009 21:56 21 »
Che fine di M XD
Mi sono piaciuti tutti tranne l'utimo episodio... :(

Ma c'è qualche chance che facciano una seconda stagione?
Non penso... la serie si basa sulla storia vera della Confraternita... e purtroppo il finale, che credo non sia piaciuto a nessuno, rispecchia ahimè quello che successe realmente tanto tempo fa... :22

P.s. Considerazione personale: Rossetti cmq, lo preferisco molto di più come vampiro su Being Human, per chi conoscesse la serie... :21
I read somewhere how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong. - Into the Wild -

I like standing next to you, Sean. It makes me look so tough.

Offline MamaZep

• The Suska
« Risposta #10 il: Domenica 30 Agosto 2009 23:25 23 »

Non penso... la serie si basa sulla storia vera della Confraternita... e purtroppo il finale, che credo non sia piaciuto a nessuno, rispecchia ahimè quello che successe realmente tanto tempo fa... :22

In realtà, le poesie finite nella tomba con Lizzie erano quelle che lei aveva scritto, e Rossetti profanò la tomba solo vent'anni dopo, perchè voleva pubblicare quelle poesie insieme alle sue(la fantastica wikipedia docet -->http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Siddal#Le_poesie... Cosa farei senza di lei!)

P.s. Considerazione personale: Rossetti cmq, lo preferisco molto di più come vampiro su Being Human, per chi conoscesse la serie... :21

Dopo aver visto Aidan ( :97) in DR non ho potuto fare a meno di vedere Being Human e... Sì! E' decisamente più figo! :49

Offline anto*

• Her Revvership Bradiship
« Risposta #11 il: Giovedì 03 Settembre 2009 21:08 21 »
vista ieri sera la seconda puntata, splendida mini serie accompagnata da sottotitoli che sono musica (ottimo lavoro anto & co!  :97)
Arrossisco. Sono contenta che il nostro lavoro sia stato apprezzato. Grazie.  :31
Toute l'amertume de l'existence lui semblait servie sur son assiette.

Offline Killa

• Get Carried Away...
« Risposta #12 il: Giovedì 03 Settembre 2009 22:43 22 »
Avere la coscienza pulita è segno di cattiva memoria

Offline Vampirelady

• Tiger Lily
  • Io non bevo mai... vino.
« Risposta #13 il: Martedì 22 Settembre 2009 01:00 01 »
Questa miniserie è favolosa. Sono a metà e nn riesco a smettere d guardarla. Poi io adoro i film sui pittori. C'è una miniserie d qualche anno fa sempre della BBC che parla degli impressionisti francesi, The Impressionists, che cercai invano d far subbare ma nn c sono riuscita.

Offline VScicchy

« Risposta #14 il: Mercoledì 23 Settembre 2009 21:46 21 »
Avevo letto un'intervista di adrian che diceva che non sapeva se facevano altre stagioni ma che lo avrebbe sperato

Anche io avevo notato di alcune discrepanze su quello scritto su wikipedia come ad esempio l'amico non pittore che non esiste xD ma ci sono anche differenze tra Wikipedia ita e inglese xD